Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
I put these posts together on Sundays so I got to watch Hidden Figures for the first time while putting this together. That movie and a few of this week’s headlines served as a reminder to me that the tech industry is not separate from society in general.
Many of us hope that the things we create and maintain help to address those issues in healthy ways, but we know that not everyone has the same hopes. Our creations have been used to divide, shame and target people. They have also been used to connect, support and liberate people. Technology is a tool. Use it for good.
Tonight I’ll be at the Denver Visual Studio Meetup. If you’re there too, say “HI!”
Have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Boulder’s Sphero lays off 45 employees after lackluster holiday sales [DenverPost]
- National Cybersecurity Center opens for business in Colorado Springs [CSGazette]
- T-Mobile completes purchase of Denver’s Layer3 TV, plans to offer TV service to all — including AT&T and Verizon customers [DenverPost]
- Social fitness app Strava opening office in Denver to take advantage of outdoors, tech talent [DenverPost]
- Boulder-based tech company Occipital raises nearly $11 million [BizWest]
- Tech-related bills introduced in the Colorado State Legislature from Jan. 10 – 24 [CTA]
- Denver-based Revolar founder, Jacqueline Ros opens up about #MeToo and #TimesUp [Revolar]
- New year, new career: 11 Colorado tech companies hiring top talent [BuiltinColorado]
- Denver’s Havenly nabs $12.5M Series B to make interior design more accessible [BuiltinColorado]
- Tech tour: A behind-the-scenes look at 4 sleek Colorado office spaces [BuiltinColorado]
Top Upcoming Events
- 1/31 – Denver WordPress Meetup – WordPress as a headless CMS
- 1/31 – Ember.js Denver –Ember 3.0 and Beyond
- 1/31 – General Assembly – Career Conversations: Data Science
- 2/1 – Bootcampers Collective – Careers & Beers: Transition in the Tech Industry
- 2/1 – COVR – A conversation with two VR software developers; ThinkSquirrel and Symmetrical
- 2/4 – Women in Robotics Boulder/Denver – Build a Servo Walker Robot with Us!
- 2/6 – Colorado Data Science – Neural Networks + NVIDIA Jetson TX1: Image Segmentation on the Edge
- 2/6 – DOSUG – What the Heck is OAuth and Open ID Connect? with Matt Raible
- 2/6 – GDG Denver – Raising the White Flag with Dagger 2 [Android]
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.